Our website use's cookies. By continuing to use the site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.

What you need to sell your house, being prepared.

If you want to make sure that your sale runs smoothly from the outset, it’s a good idea to make sure that you put together all the documentation that your conveyancing solicitor will need at the earliest opportunity.

When selling a house, your conveyancing solicitor will need the originals of the following if you have them :-

  • Any title deeds and sundry searches. (Land Registry or your mortgage company may be able to help.)
  • Any planning permissions, plans and accompanying documents.
  • Any building regulation approvals and completion certificates.
  • FENSA Certificate. (Fensa may be able to help if you have lost it.)
  • Gas Safety Inspection Certificate. (British Gas is a good place to start.
  • Electrical Safety Inspection Certificate. (A useful source of additional infomation.)
  • Proof of boiler servicing/CORGI Certificate. (British Gas can send a corgi registered engineer to test your boiler.)
  • Any guarantees, together with any contracts, quotations and plans (particularly for damp proofing works).
  • Any indemnity insurance policy that was put in place when you bought the property.
  • Details of your existing mortgage e.g. account number and approximately how much is outstanding, together with account details for any additional financial loans or charges registered on your property.

In addition, if your property is leasehold and not freehold :-

  • Latest service charge receipt.
  • Latest ground rent receipt.
  • Lease.
  • Share certificate.
  • Management company’s details.
  • Memorandum of Association & Articles of Association for the Management Company.

In addition, whether you are buying a house or selling a house, your conveyancing solicitor will need proof of your identity because they are required to check this for money laundering requirements. The conveyancing solicitor will give you more details of any documents he requires, but usually a passport/photocard driving licence and bills/bank statements are sufficient.